Story line

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2011 at 8:16 AM

We dont have a story line yet, but you can share your ideas. :)

You want to be the story writer? No problem, go on. 

Editor
Dec 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Dragons create and can control the runes.

At some point the player finds dead dragon bones in a crypt/cavern in possession of a rune.

The player sets off to find more dragons.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Very good idea, I added it to the Runes wiki page.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

How about they find a rune activated weapon. (or you'll never be able to use runes as you need to use an rune activated weapon to activate other runes!)

And the that weapon has the guidance rune on it. Which acts as a hint/waypoint system to objectives/other runes (bit like clairvoiance spell in skyrim / or the light shining sword in shadow of the colossus)

Some massively powerful evil had gone around killing all the dragons (but has now gone dormant after killing the last one), but this last one left the rune of guidance for someone to find and master all the runes to fend this evil if it returns.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I'll forward your idea to the story writer.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM

The idea about dragons is good. I actually thought about it too. But I would prefer the following idea.  Dragons were killed. ( we need the drama) but some of them survived and they can take up the appearance of the other races and  they are hidden. 
About the runes.  They have to find a rune activated weapon.... i like the idea but i was thinking about that the characters are born with a rune within themselves (random). AND with that rune they can active a weapon that suits them. ( it's just an idea and i don't think it will be taken in, but maybe we could work out something) Maybe a basic rune and by evolving they can make the rune stronger ? More developed maybe? I will have to think about it. 

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I like your idea about the dragons. I had something similar in mind too. :)

Hmm, I don't really think it might be a good idea if characters were born with runes within, but your other idea, that runes can be stronger is good. As I wrote in the game design, skills are developed by use, so can be with runes as well.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Oh you misunderstood me. I was thinking about that there are maybe a set of basic runes. Let's say 10. And i was thinking the 1 race can have a higher affinity towards 1 rune and it can develop. Like you draw a circle. It can become several thing: the Moon,  a ball,  the center of a flower or the Sun etc. It depends on the character what it will become. 

And to think that they have something in them that makes the more unique that the others is something great. I mean i would like that idea. Like they could feel the pull toward a thing. Like a rune is about fire. Then that character shall feel an unnatural pull towards fire. But with this an "alliance" system can be built too. Like fire and wind is stronger together. So those two feel a connection. Or something like that. 

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Your idea with the "unnatural pull" is good. I don't want characters to begin with 10 runes though. They will find only one, and that will be after they mastered the fight system.

Editor
Dec 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hey, I'm Shyralon and I'll try to do some concepts and maybe a bit of storywritting too. I had a few Ideas for the story, you said the runes are some kind of ancient dragon runes, so maybe the player is a dragon too, who is banned into a mortal body and tries to find the runes to get his old power back and break the curse..... I already did a few concepts but I can't upload them at the moment but I think this evening or tomorrow I can upload them ;D

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Knowing Darress the cursed dragon spirit locked in a human body idea wont work. Just saying. But if you can upload concepts that would be great. We got f4celess already on the job, but we are currently short on ideas. And so the test level is getting created incredibly slowly :)

Editor
Dec 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM
bonyg wrote:

If you can upload concepts that would be great. We got f4celess already on the job, but we are currently short on ideas. And so the test level is getting created incredibly slowly :)

I dont mind more people doing concept art. I have regular art blocks and the amount of stuff needing concepts are not small, more than I can do in a month.

So yeah, btw, I havent seen any of Ra1ns pictures. I could need some so I can make interiors and houses that fits the characters lifestyle. 

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:05 AM

F4celess: Sorry, but Rain has troubles, she can't help us actively. She tries to upload the few works she had done.

Bony: We need more than one concept artist! :)

Shyralon: Your idea is good. We can arrange things so, that the character doesnt remember of anything, so he has to learn the use of runes, the fights, etc again. And so we can "explain" the tutorials. And he doesnt know he is a dragon. :) It would be surprising at the end. :P

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Darress wrote:

Shyralon: Your idea is good. We can arrange things so, that the character doesnt remember of anything, so he has to learn the use of runes, the fights, etc again. And so we can "explain" the tutorials. And he doesnt know he is a dragon. :) It would be surprising at the end. :P

I just came up with a good idea for a story based on that.

- You, a dragon who tend to experiment with creating runes. manages to make a rune that, when used on a person. transform them into a different creature, takes away their memory, skills and everything else. and teleports them far away. Another dragon (bad guy) interrupts your breakthrough and use said rune against you.

You don't get to know that until the end. you are just fixed on finding answers to why you suddenly woke up in a strange place knowing nothing or anything. (you know how to speak and walk etc).

To whoever writes the whole story. take a look at how the Zelda games do their stories. They start with doing stuff for locals as the training missions. Then after a while unlocks most of the world piece by piece by defeating bosses. and when you think you are done with the game after that. You have to do the same amount of work to collect fragments or pieces of a object that will unlock the last piece of the world, where the main bad guy is. These fragments could be runes containing pieces of your memory or something.

That's my ideas for a story.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Why would a single rune have all these effects? Btw, dragons not always need runes to create magic. Maybe you could transform yourself into an other form to cloak yourself, than some accident (or bad forces' action) happen, so you lost your memory, and dont know who you are.

You have to keep in mind, that each rune must have some useful funcion that can be used in the "everyday" life of dragons. That's why I think it would be better, if the fragments would be just things you find out hereby your memory comes back partly.

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Superrune maybe, or accidently discovered those effects via experimenting. maybe a combination of many runes. If there were rules around the rune usage, maybe you intended the rune to be destroyed before any abuse happens. I'm just throwing ideas around here...

But yeah, there could be many ways to give the concept of lost memories a story. which is why we need a storywriter to at least do the story for the first area you have access to (demo island?). 

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM

hmm..maybe he wakes up in a forest and his instincts/memoryfragments teach them how to teach, maybe in some kind of an empty room in his head where you practise fighting etc in his minds before you fight against real enemys, maybe a bit like these animustutorials in assassins creed...

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I think a simple guy will do for teacher. :) Maybe he doesnt know, what race he is teaching, or he does! But some kind of helper wont hurt at the beginning.

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Yeah, but it's so normal, ike every other game :D

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM

True, but we have enough new things in the game. :P

Oh, and you cant make a game that has no similarity to other games. Old and good ideas can be reused I think.

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Sure :D just trying to find new ideas ;D

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Thats good, keep up! :) I never wanted to say anything against ideas in general. Ideas make a game great.

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM

lol...I just had a strange idea for the start :D

Maybe the player wakes up in a forest and finds a little fairy village (xD). The holy trees of the Fairys are destroyed by a group of trolls and you have to help the fairys protecting their trees...at the end of the quest chain they give you their rune, they had in their village with is maybe a light healing rune or something which fits to the nature...

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Oh, please, make no fairy tale from this game... :D

Editor
Dec 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

:D just thought about little creature who could be too weak to defend trolls ^^

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Not only small and weak creatures need help. Just look around in the real world.

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Edited Dec 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM

How about a group of faries attacked a troll and it needs help? Would be a cool but awkward starting. Actually i would love it :D

Jokes aside usually the starting area not just places you in the world, and gives you a tutorial, but gives you some objective, something that you can call a goal for atleast some time, so you dont just run around the world, but you know you have to do something while in htat sity or something like that. Doesnt need to be the main plot, a side quest is fine also just dont leave the player out there with short continous followup missions, or he will feel like a cheep mercenary.

A quest in the beginning, that he cant finish until he reaches a certain point in the world, thats far away will give him a feeling that he is doing little quest in order to get there. So i think the starting should be something that gives you this quest, so you can always say, yes i did this to get closer to my goal. The player can learn his real main goal later in the game.

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Random idea. instead of the typical character selection, it's decided through a personality test. much like in the Pokemon Ranger games for GBA.

Through a series of questions the game figures what type of character fits the player best. A player who preferr brutal power and tactics would fit a wolf/bear-type character. while a hit and run type of person could get a more agile body build, it could even decide gender out of the results if we want to take the character creation entirely out of the players hands before they actually get to see it.

If we do this we would have to make it fairly accurate, but it isn't hard to do.

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Hmm...we have no humans don't we? because then we could make a start questchain where you learn to fight etc and depending on your fighting style and the decesions you make you would transform into whatever animal like char....

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Maybe the player starts out as a Human, transported into the magical world by random. and through the training questchain you figure what animal/creature you fit as and are transformed by the helper into something appropriate to the situation.

again, just throwing around random ideas here.

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys! :)

I like the idea, that the player character is a dragon, just he dont know it. Later he will be able to transform back. :)
If we had humans in game, we would also have human buildings, all human things, that's what I wanted to skip right from the beginning, But if you dont like the idea I can be convinced. Just you have to have some really good arguments. :P 

Bony: Yeah, jokes are important. I'm sure you will add some. :P And you are also right with the side quest thing.

F4celess: I think it's better if the player can choose for himself. I would hate, if a test will choose instead of me...

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hmm...I think the cursed dragon story is good, we don't need humans...we should write some kind of a design document in which we write all ideas which we want to implement into the game and the enviroments, quests races etc... I think we should make 1 race first and when this one works adding a few others...

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

That was exactly my plan.

As "design document", we have the wiki pages. But soon, we will have a new website. I just dont have the time for design, and nobody else wants to do it. :P

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

:D I tried making a website myself a few month....was a BIG fail :D So I can't help you with that :/

Maybe we should write in in some kind of a pdf document because looking in all the different threads is very much work ^^

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Syncing a single document will be messy. just throw in a SimpleMachines forum or something on a subdomain.

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

If we need a good forum I can recommend http://www.forumprofi.de/ there you can create very good and flexible forums for free (no advertisement as far as I know, only a subdomain)...

Editor
Dec 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM

If we are getting a website at all we could just as well have our own custom forum. that way we have maximum control. a person who are able to build a website could also maintain a forum. I'll help out if you want me to, I have some experience with forums. I was admin and designer on a few forums back in the day.

I have a idea for a Logo, but I'll post it later.

(edit)

this is a example of my forum designs, I have some ideas for a FR forum too.

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 1:14 AM

I have no trouble setting up a forum. ;) (I already did it for this game, I just didnt publish it.) The only problem is the design. Not only for the forum, for the whole webpage. (I work as a web-programmer, I can make everything except the design.)

Ok, I can tell you, the forum is here: http://forgottenrunes.comli.com/forum/ :) Custom enough! :)
(You may not want to register and post there, I'll make a custom authentication system, so everybody will be deleted. ;))

F4celess: if you help me with the design, I'll make everything else. You didnt say that you can make webdesign too!! :)

Editor
Dec 20, 2011 at 6:00 AM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM

If you give me the CSS files and such I can give it a shot.

I went from normal photoshopping to painting and drawing. So basically, If it has pixels. I can make it.

Editor
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I like your example design, only the blue borders should have another color...

Editor
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:39 AM

That one was half finished and with a space theme. for a online text based game that got canceled.

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Nice, I will give you all the necessary things.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hello

So, I guess I'm the new story writer.

I joined yesterday and have some experience in story writing thanks to pen&paper roleplaying and a wild imagination

I've already written a lot of stories (mostly background stories for my rp characters) and also thought up my very own world, even with how the world was created and stuff.

I hope I can help you with my ideas and look forward to your opinions on my story ideas

Btw: http://forgottenrunes.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Plot&referringTitle=Story%20line

Heres a start at how the story could start

Have fun reading

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Welcome, and thanks for your excelent work! :)

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I like the story, but it's a bit humanlike, so it would be difficu,lt to make it suitable to forest wolfs and all this other stuff...maybe we should just make humans as player characters.....the idea with the witch and this fog is really nice, maybe the player is this cursed dragon as we imagined before and sees this fog because the other dragons want to keep him back from breaking the curse, so they sent him monsters etc in his dreams, so sometimes while the story he enters some kind of a dreamwolrd in which he has to fight against some bosses etc....

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I'm tending to aprove your idea. :) We can get human models, textures and so on easy, so we can begin with the environment, that should contain normal plants as well. Later we can go on with the old idea, but there are plenty of normal plants built in in cryengine.

What do you think about this?

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Well, if you tell me how to take that "humanlike" out of a story, I will see if I can think something else up. But the player will play a humanoid as far as I understood. He/She looks like a mix between human and animal, is intelligent and can talk. So i don't expect them to live in caves and not wearing clothes at all. Imo that would make the character feel too much of a neanderthal. I suppose those races build stuff, so the real difference to humans would be most likely to how they build it (although humans already have built houses and stuff in a lot of different ways).

Anyway, what exactly makes it feel so humanlike? I mean Darress already told me, that the "witch" was too humanlike for him. The thing is, it doesn't have to be a witch, shes just an older woman who lives in the forest alone and does stuff that freaks out the villagers, therefore being called witch. I think I should have specified that.

About the cursed dragon part:

I agreed with Darress that we would do that. It lets me play with the players mind a bit, since he will get flashbacks and all kinds of stuff, which will eventually lead to his past. The fog part is one of it. Those red eyes in the cave, the player isn't supposed to know it, but that is the first dragon he sees. This is what the "witch" saw. Kinda. What she didn't see, is that the dragon tampered with the weapon the player retrieved, effectively allowing it to become a rune weapon. And thats exactly why the "witch" is so confused, because she didn't see that coming.

And about dreams:

I plan on using a dreamworld to some extent. It would also be an easy way of getting a rune magic tutorial. I mean we can put a fighting tutorial at the start of the game in the village, before the sword is stolen. But rune magic is supposed to be something rare right? Therefore: dream tutorial. Well that would be my idea.

I should have propably but that stuff I wrote here in the wiki too

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Sounds good :D I think the first village should be some kind of an small village in the forest, the people live from hunting etc... , desigining the witchs lair will be fun :D

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ok, initially I didnt like the dream tutorial idea, but it can be a memory rather than a dream... :) Just the player dont know what it is.

But anyway... how should the player practise the rune magic??? And who should aprove his technique?

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I think the witch could be a good teacher for one or two basic runes...

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Yes, for the basics at least. The dream tutorials can come later...

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I think it wpuld be better if the dreamthing isn't a tutorial, more like...part of the story....where you get advises about wehat you really are..

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM

To be honest I also prefer tutors to be living beings, not dreams.

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM

as tutor we have the man who raised him for swordfighting and the witch for basic runes...

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Yes, I thought the same.

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I'm just going to be honest and say I don't like the current plot. I liked the original ideas of Dragons creating the runes.

My ideas based on that:

- The runes are now a forgotten resource, the player wakes up in nowhere and has no idea of anything and sets of in search of answers. he randomly meet the tutor guy who is a person with skills within sword fighing (king panda?). The player gets a couple of swords without runes. He would have to get them activated by a different dude in a town. throughout the game the player gets a series of flashbacks, piecing together the backstory of the player, who was once a dragon.

If I had writing skills or patience I could probably come up with stories. but my focus here is to illustrate ideas. I just want to share my opinion.

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Hmm...I like both versions :/ But we should use the player who was a dragon and these flashbacks :D

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Haha, we didnt skip the idea that the player is a dragon, and dragons created the runes. You will just dont know it at the beginning.

And I like the current plot a lot.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM

@F4celess:

Of course the player could just start out nowhere without knowing anything. But that would indicate that you have to find out who the character is. If you give the character a previous live, even if hes an orphan and was found by some old guy, its more shocking if the player then finds out about his past.

I mean in which one of those plots would you more expect some strange past that you would like to find out?

I think its more interesting if the whole thing is a surprise. And flashbacks were part of my plan too ;)

About randomly meeting some tutor:

Randomly meeting is easy, but why should he/she teach the character anything? Especially a King? I mean it would be easy to just put any reason away, but I think we want the story to make sense.

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM
Evo_Kaer wrote:

About randomly meeting some tutor:

Randomly meeting is easy, but why should he/she teach the character anything? Especially a King? I mean it would be easy to just put any reason away, but I think we want the story to make sense.

And that's why I like the current story. because there is a good reason and some kind of a story arround the teachers..

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

The most of us likes the new story, so we go ahead with it. :)

Gratz, Evo_Kaer! ;)

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Maybe this guy who raises you up learns you how to fight BEFORE the sword is stolen, the nameless guy is killed while the thieves steal the sword, you have to hunt them but you can't get them so you go to the witch/druid

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM
Evo_Kaer wrote:

I was referring to one of the pictures in the concept art thread. the tutor guy could be someone hiding in the mountains, where you for some reason find yourself. Why you are there is revealed later on through the flashbacks.

Again. I'm just sharing my own ideas.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for your ideas, but I like the original variant of Evo_Kaer more.

Editor
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Okay, now we can start designing the village, the characters and the first map^^

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I put a new idea to the Early ideas in Storyline Page:

At some point, before having met even one dragon, a false dragon will attack a city, the player is in. After killing the dragon (or at least get it away somehow), the player will think that dragons might be evil. This will lead to the player to hunt down a dragon. After doing so and killing the dragon, he will feel the pain of what he did, because of a connection (since he is also a cursed or whatever dragon). This way he will see, that the dragon, which attacked the city was propably not a real dragon, because then he didn't feel anything.

I will be on vacation from now on, until about Wednesday I think. Be prepared for some crazy stuff I might come up with ;)

Until next week, cya guys

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Hi all!

Sorry for not being here. I actually forgot about this during the Christmas "break". But I also have ideas and I have read your ideas.

1. Humans
 - I think there should be creatures like humans, but not really humans. I was also thinking about dragons in human bodies. 
My ideas--> Maybe there was a course or a crisis that forced dragons into an another body. And now taken your ideas into consideration--> dragons could loose their memories, and now they have to get them back.
 So for the bodies --> they can have features of human body but not totally human. Like they have feathers in their arms or can breath fire or sth like that, it's just an idea.
BUT

-If we put humans into this I would suggest that they are close to extinction. ( I have a story idea to this but I want your opinions 1st)

2. Fog or "master"
- I also like the idea of fog, but maybe it could be a symbol or sth like that. 
I would under no condition make this master all knowing and powerful. It's everywhere and for me it is getting annoying. That an old master trying to teach the youngling to this or that and int he end it turns out that he is bla bla powerful dunno who. Actually i would go with the idea of Assassins Creed. That this master knows sth and helps to remember these aspects and some minor details THEN you can go on a mission and get better at that specific thing ( or learn to rule and use that rune) . 

3. Memories
- Memories could be given with "fog" but not in the usual boring way. Like there is a greater knowledge to be learnt and then just only after mastering all aspects of that thing you can enter and see that memory. For me it's a bit like LineAge2 . When you are over lvl 20; 40;82; and you change your cast. Here you could maybe see a version of what could have happened if you did sth in an another way. (it's just an idea)

4. Other dragons
- well you should certainly meet others as you can learn from others. ( newest ideas in real life about teaching)
I would also add something here. With getting more and more experienced your features could change--> physically like--> you had feathers on your body you grow more etc. And you can acquire other traits too.
And sth + again: I had an idea that some 'types" of players could work better together. If you agree with this then we could mix the learning with this. If you play long enough with an another "type" then you can master their "skills" to some point. Of course you won't become better but well ?good at it?
And if we make dragons work more and more together they can trigger these "memories" out of each other .... i am not sure if you understand me so i will try to re phrase it--> if 2 compatible dragon plays longer together they can reach thing better. 

5. Other creatures
- I still don't really have ideas about it :D
But what would be good to know: can we make these creatures fly? cause i could think up some "bird like " but not dragon creatures. Same goes for water. 
Also these creatures should have some really strong skills so dragons are not the only options  ( or we make a wide range of diff. types of dragons) so that it doesn't get boring . I think it's really important because dragons had fallen. But who, which race or force or etc. was strong enough to do it? 

I am going to stop here now cause it's enough already. What do you think?

Nii/Bastet

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM

1. We already had the idea, that dragons are extinct or almost so and they are in human/animal form, and the player is one of them and he lost his memories.

2. Nice idea. :) A being that is more powerful than dragons. :) I like both names (master/fog).

3. Yes, we had a similar idea too.

4. You are right, I dont really understand it. :P But I hope you know this will be a single player game. :) At least at the beginning.

5. There is no need of external force to get the dragons fall. For example, a single dragon can go mad, or a younger species destroy something that dragons need to live in peace, or the world changes and dragons must hide, and so on...

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

We shall discuss it tomorrow ;)

Editor
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I like most of the ideas, together with the other ideas the story is getting better and better :D

BUT I want to fight against a real, big and powerfull dragon :D

BTW, I think I can probably start the dragon concept I should do tomorrow :D

Coordinator
Dec 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM
Shyralon wrote:

BUT I want to fight against a real, big and powerfull dragon :D

Read the bottom Early Idea in the Sotryline wiki ;)

Bastet wrote:

I think it's really important because dragons had fallen. But who, which race or force or etc. was strong enough to do it?

I already got an idea to how they got extinct (well, almost). And I'm going to put it in the wiki as soon as I've brought my ideas from paper to hard drive.

I had a pretty bad case of writing mania on Tuesday at about midnight :D. I had to force myself to go to sleep ^^

Editor
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Can't wait to see the new ideas :D

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2011 at 4:37 PM

There you go: http://forgottenrunes.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Background

First Backgroundstory "The Creation of the Runes" is finished

Next to come is "The Runewar". I'm still writing on tthat one and need to translate it afterwards, so that might take some time. Guess til monday. If tomorrow is a good day, I might even be able to finish it tomorrow

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Very good! :) Your background story is amazing! :)

Editor
Jan 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Awesome story :D

Only the runes written in stone walls remind me too much to skyrim ^^

Editor
Jan 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Shyralon wrote:

how about written on stone tablets?

Stupid Bethesda, taking all the good ideas.

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM
F4celess wrote:
Shyralon wrote:

how about written on stone tablets?

Stupid Bethesda, taking all the good ideas.

Well, in Skyrim words are written on "Word Walls" like the one the drgaon is sitting on: http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepicker/6/skyrim_collectors_edition_dragon_2.jpg

But there are actual stories written on them (short stories but still). So it may be similar, but I imagined more of an entrance inside the mountain leading to a much bigger space, where the runes are engraved to the very walls of the mountain itself, nothing carved out of the mountain, but actually the mountain itself.

So the only similarity would be that the stuff is written on stone. You can't even say that "inside a mountain" is the same, because in Skyrim you have those "Word Walls" in all different kinds of places, heck I found one somewhere on a mountain where nothing else was and it was snowing so heavily, I couldn't even see anything more than 5 meters in front of me ^^.

So yeah it may be similar, but still I think we should stick to it. I think it gives the runes the special feeling of epicness they should deserve

Editor
Jan 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM

MAybe we could do some kind of a giant hall (giant for dragons = REALY great for humans/other things) where the complete walls of the hall are covered with runes, story etc...

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hi.
Yesterday evening I had an idea.
What if we put the fall of the dragons into  something like this?
- Mother Earth (or sth. else if it's an another planet) was the original creator of dragons. They were born from her love toward creatures, but the continuing messing with magical power had broken her and that's why dragons are near to extinction. We can add that it's really hard for them to convince an egg/ hatchling .  
- So our hero could have this as an aim to "resurrect"  mother Earth by learning all the symbols and magic to understand what have caused this great disaster. 
- With this we could also link the surrounding. (We had an idea that the surrounding could be ruins. )That Earth had gone into a coma or sth and only her basic functions are alive that's why there is still live on her. 
- We could also put these as memories and it wont be that "usual and boring" and having a dragon mentor with him would be good - as mentioned ( in my opinion)
- If you like my idea about the "unnatural pull" then it could be that this dragon was the last created by her and he is the last hope. Later on we can mix up the story about it, but for a basic story I think it could pass.

What do you think? 

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I think it's too abstract...

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM

why?

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM

In fact, there could be an ancient power, but I wouldn't call it Mother Earth. And a single hero suppose to "resurrect" the ancient power, that was destroyed by generations? 

We'll se what Evo can use from this idea.

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Edited Jan 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I'm still translating the stuff I've written about the Runewar, but I've put the first part of it in the wiki, so you can check it out.

As soon as I'm finished with the last part I'll put it on too.

See Here

Edit: Just so you know: The first part contains something that is explained in the second part, so don't be too confused

Editor
Jan 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Nice :D

Sounds like a good background story so far^^

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

As I discussed with Evo, I personally found this dim, incomprehensible dark power not very good as a cause for the fall of the dragons. That would be as if they were not responsible for their deeds, plus how could a single dragon (even with help) defeat this power, that almost extinguished the whole race?

I think, an inner misunderstanding would be a better cause for the rune war. Just like in reality, the biggest enemy of human good is the human itself. (With the difference, that dragons are wiser and stronger, so the misunderstanding must be really bad.)

Editor
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

But the Idea of this seed of discord sounds good, maybe an evil dragon/a traitor combined some runes to cause the war :/