Questions

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

You can ask here anything, or give general ideas.

Editor
Nov 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Hey, I have some ideas for enemies. but I don't know what range of creatures you are looking for/able to create. if you don't have anything planned at all I'll just base it off the typical range of enemies in other games.

those include:

- Small creatures that live for you to slay them like nothing, minimal damage, but many.

- Larger (human sized), more efficient creature, maybe ranged with arrows or magic. not as numerous.

- Even larger than above. Are way more tactical and have better weapons/magic. squad leaders.

- Tank creature, teactic is to push thru like a bulldoser and then bash on the player like a maniac. but it's slow at movement. single or pairs.

-Small flying creature with same damage as the one first mentioned. but harder to hit. swarms.

That was pretty much a copy of what Halo has, but I believe it can be adapted to your game.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, sure.

We didn't have any plans for enemies yet, but these are good ideas.

Actually our group members all all computer engineers and we are less creative than artists. (Not all engineers course, but many.) So you can have any type of creative idea, we only have the technical part in hands, the creative part is yours (the community). :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

When using 2 Move controllers, are the buttons on one controller the same as the other? or can X on the right hand controller do a different function to X on the left hand controller?

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Yes, they can (and will) have different functions of course.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I've done some design. I'm just waiting to set up some webspace to put them on the internet.  can you embed pictures here?

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Yes, I (and you) can embed pictures with http code here. But you have to upload it somewhere. For example deviantart. :)

Editor
Dec 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Some more ideas

Runes could have more power if put on certain points. (for example crystals or power spots) These cost some mana/magic to cast but are intensified or made permanent or they unlock or move things. This form could also be vital in solving the main quest.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Good idea, I will extend the wiki with this.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM

How about having different runes having different effects, and when you cast a spell thanks to a specific rune, it kind of starts to disappear, if overused it completely fades out, and you have to wait or power it up some other way to be able to use it again. Like killing enemies will restore some of its power or use some kind of rune power up stone, or do some crazy shit with the controller (wrecking havoc in your room before the screen shaking it around) to quickly restore it to its full light and power. And of course if you have skills it could be a good passive skill to be able to quickly regain lost rune power.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I don't want runes to fade out. The runes drawn on your sword is like choosing weapons for battle. You can only use the weapons that are with you, and you can only carry a limited weight.

I want this game to be as realistic as possible (inside the fantasy word), and the runes are not evil things, that can be powered up by killing people... They are made for helping the dragon race.

Did you read the wiki? :P

Developer
Dec 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I'd agree with the fading as an alternative to mana. it's a fresh approach :) as well as you don't need to implement a source of magic like mana if characters are drawing all their power from the runes wich are actually magical.  Can't see a difference in mana/rune recharging...

If the runes don't fade away permanently, this will be good as players got to change tactics anyways if their source of power runs dry. 2 swords should do the trick though ;)

Developer
Dec 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM

A possible compromise would be to simply change the manapool-symbol on players' huds to a rune (e.g. a rune that doesn't have an equivalent ingame, but could be the games' logo :D ) and color it depending on the fading status of the rune. 

To increase the difficulty: runes fade away permanently for a given amount of time (actual fight for example) if runes' power drops below 1%

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Okey, you are right, nervi. And you are the game designer, you shall adopt ideas if you like them.

So which of the 2 variants will be accepted?

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM

The killing part was only an idea, you know if you have a skill tree of some sort you could choose evil, good and neutral skills, and the killing recharge could be an evil skill. You know not everybody want to be an angel at the end of the game. Although in every single rpg i help every single one of those farmers who needs help. But we dpont develop games for ourselves but we must think of all the people with a lot of different ways to play a game.

I think its very important to have some kind of level up system, skill trees arent the only way to go. If you carefully plan the gameplay and the map you can make sure that the player can only reach areas he is strong enough to reach, and find equipment there to give him power to go to places he couldnt go before. Then you dont need any kind of xp, but the player would still feel that he is getting more powerful, which is a nice alternative to levelling up. But i think the most important things that players like is to make decisions, which can alter the story or the gameplay.

And yes i read about the dragon thing... Its not bad... But kinda reminds me of skyrim... And we might not want to be compared to skyrim :D

I like the idea of creating an ultimate rune that could be seen on walls in the game and it could be a logo... You know the story could include a rune that is lost and nowhere to be found.

The runes also could be powered back up if the player stops moving and by pressing a button he focuses some kind of energy which recharge the sword - but while doing it you are standing still and vulnerable. But these are just ideas until we start to implement them we can still change things around. I like to think of this thread as a brainstorm discussion :D

Editor
Dec 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM

great, lot's of ideas to make pictures from. I'm still working on the initial concept for characters. trying to get the style defined, then it should be a bit quicker for each picture.

I agree on the dragons part being too similar to Skyrim. it also conflicts with a character race I plan to illustrate, a dragin-ish race,

I'm trying to distance the characters from Skyrims designs, but it's hard to be original with this genre, or any genre really.

Developer
Dec 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM

although i never played skyrim, i don't agree with you.

it's easy to say that dragons are a core part of fantasy - we're not inventing the wheel from nothing here

Faceless did you talk to Ra1n about the characters concepts so far? i think you 2 should stay in touch in that matter.

That ultimative, lost or unique rune thing should be precised - i thought about a rune that symbols runes in a representative way, that's what would make it a great logo. If you bring an ultimative rune in and make it the logo, players' main intention to play could become a "where is that uber-rune that makes me bash everything"-hunt.

I'd prefer to make the experience of directly controlling the characters' swords by moving my own hands the strongest part in the game. Bet if we concentrated on that, forgotten runes will become a great game even if the dragons-thing is similar to other stories :)

brainstorming <3  

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I have nothing against xp and leveling up. It's also written in the wikis. So there will be xp.

Yeah, I didn't say you can't use the runes in a wrong way. I only said, that the dragons didn't do so. They wanted to help each other but they failed. You can use it wrong of course.

Skill tree? The skills are pretty much runes I think, we don't need more! This is complecated enough without any extra trees.

I also disagree that we will steal ideas from Skyrim. In Skyrim (as much as I know) dragons are only beasts to kill. In most fantasy stories dragons are ancient and wise. And a single hero is far not enough to kill a couple of dragons alone. ;) I read dosens of fantasy books, and our idea is much like them and unlike Skyrim. Plus you don't know anything about dragons at the begining.

I agree with Nervi, we don't want to make a hack&slash game. The main motivation of the player should be to gather more information of the world of our game. Of course they will fight often, but an uber-rune is not a good idea I think.

F4celess: there will be the dragon-like humanoid and the ancient dragons. 2 different races, the dragon like humanoids don't have the strength and skills of that of the dragons! They are just like any other races in game except of some minor skills that they could inherit from dragons. And F4celess, you could concentrate more at enemies if you want to, Ra1n is specialized on fantasy characters, so she can easyly create the player characters. She is also great in drawing dragons, she spent her half life drawing dragons. ;)

And one more time: dragons are not from Skyrim, almost all fantasy worlds have them, just read some Dragonlance, Eragon, Warcraft books, Pern cycle, Dragoncharm, etc, just mentioning my favorites. And to tell the truth I dont know Skyrim, never played with it so I cant do accidentaly some similar things cause I played a lot with it.

edit: And yes, it's a good idea, that you can recharge your runemight if you do something. For example you have to draw a rune in the air, and wait for the recharge. But you have to concetrate, so it will be interrupted if you move or something moves near you.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Try monster hunter if you want to do a dragon hunt :D So here is the thing about skyrim if you dont know it: the two reasons why you hunt dragons are to get their souls. Every time you kill one you get a soul, which you can use to unlock a dragon shout. In this concept it kind of reminded me about getting a dragon bone to get a rune. And the other reason in skyrim to kill a dragon is to get dragon scales and dragon bones, which are used to make the ultimate armor. Yeah i know its not the case here, but still the dragon bones come in the picture. Feel free to stay with the original concept, i just wanted to warn you about it.

About the ultimate rune nobody have to ever find it. It could be a final scene where you find out that there is no more ultimate rune because it was used to create all life in the world or somithing like that (destroyed a great evil so it couldnt destroy the peacful word) and it faded away after being used forever. But bandits and treasure hunters will attack you because they dont know and they are searching for it. Like a gold rush.

By skill skills i didnt mean - cast a fireball :D Of course thats why there are runes. I meant like little stuff people still feel like they are using to fully specialize in there own little fighting style. Like +5% rune regenerating speed, +1% critical rate, little stuff like that, but players still feel like they just used up that one skill point each level so they can now be more efficient. So basically passive skills i was thinking about. They dot even have to get one skill point every level.

Also, concept artist friends, feel free to draw anything related to this world. I know there is not much yet to go on, because nothing really decided yet, but if you have free time you could try and experiment with styles of buildings (but i guess they will be race specific) weapons, objects, anything that you think will be in the world and that stupid modeller of ours cant think of himself. Really let your fantasies loose. :D Also you could start and come up with simple rune concepts. I guess there will be a lot of runes for every magic, it would be good to already have some kind of symbol to choose from when the magic system is getting designed. Also in ancient tombs it would look cool if the walls would have these strange symbols, so you know you are in a serious place. And there its better to have more runes than the ones you can use for magic. But its just my idea.

Also i think we should come up with something about the whole world. Something has to go on. It doesnt have to be from the very beginning, maybe the players actions will cause a global conflict, but usually there is something going on in rpg-s. A civil war, an attacking outsider race, the awaken of the dragon race, an attak from the other world, a man who hunts down every king in the continent and has to be stopped, and this is just a few freom some games i played. A very unique situation that is going on in the wolrd where you play can really make you want to play. Believe me.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Some good ideas here, Bony! ;)

Ok, I got it, but we wont use dragon bones for anything and you wont be stronger if you slay dragons. (If you could slay them... :P A single dragon could erase towns.)

There cannot be an ultimate rune that was used to create a world, cause the world already existed when the dragons created the runes. But of course you can make a unique rune not avaible to players that can be the game logo.

Ok, of course, such skills will be developed by level up. Your activation rune will be stronger, so you can use more runes on your sword, you have a higher maximum runemight, etc. You have to give numbers for the players, so they can track their progress. I know it.

Ra1n could conentrate on player races, cause we really need them first, and it's the hardest work. Don't worry Bony, you'll get enough concept for modelling. ;)

I would like to draw the runes! ;) I have some reasons for it. I will have to implement a motion recognition system, that can recognize the runes, so I have to make the runes scripts easy recognizable.

Nervi will write the history of our world, if no story writers appear. So Bony, be patiant, you will find the story at the wiki pages in time! ;)

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I would also be happy to help with the story writing, i have seen many things and i know what i missed in a lot of games. A good story and atmosphere can really make a difference. And i guess you are right with the rune drawing thing :D

How about having some bosses in the game, that are strong and appear at certain progress in the main story. You only get to fight againts enemies once in the game. These fights could be half scripted, like if the boss have half the health he knocks down a wall giving you access to something that can deal him a lot of damage. And in this case i can imagine a fight with a dragon while destroying a city. That would be spectacular.

About the races i think they should have some distinct roles in the world. Like a tigerish race who are known to be noble, a fox like who are usually stealing and so on. The idea is to have a kind of racism, you know here comes a half bull npc, i can expect him to be strong if it gets to a fight, but he is also kind of stupid because they are easy to manipulate,. And of course not all of them would be like that, sometimes there is a suprise, like a bandit tiger or a very clever bull but the player could still get the concept of how will they behave in a fight or in a conversation. So if we are creating the world, we have to think of roles keeping the world in balance, and it could help deciding in what kind of race could fulfill that role. And this could also alter the start of the game, like the first 10 minutes are depending on what race you chose. And it could also give you different conversational options later in the game. I dont know how hard it is to put in, but it could result in a different experience every playthrough. Also this passive skill trees and starting stats could be dependent on the race.

Editor
Dec 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I'll try to contact Ra1n about who does what art. I'll finish up what I have and try to paint some environments and enemies.Note that I'm not very experienced and I joined mostly to get a practice project to learn concept art from.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM

BonyG: Of course you can. :) You can contact Nervi, but maybe it's easier if you spoke with me, we speak the same language. ;)

Yeah, sure we need bosses. And dragons... if there will be any in the game, the player will only meet them at the end of the game, And they will not want to destroy cities. If they wanted to they could destroy everything. But they did stay and help.

Yes, I also like your idea with the races. But it is the same in every other game, isn't it? :) Half bull/cow characters were already mentioned in a discuss with Nervi, but it's Ra1n's job to decide what we'll have. She's very good at this, I'll let her do, what she want, use her imagination freely.

I think every race will have the same conversiations and quests first. Sorry, my job is to set the scope, if I let it grow, we won't achive anything. So I only accept ideas that can be realized, sorry. But it is a good idea. ;)

F4celess: Ra1n is very good at character drawing, I let her do the player races and the dragons. But we also need environment concept arts for our level designer and non-player characters. Is it ok, if you would do it? You are good with colours. ;)

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Well f4celess, you could try to sketch a few type of buildings, doesnt even has to be a complete drawing of a building, but you know like how would the roof look like or the furniture. But of course this depends on what kind of race lives in there, and since ra1n is the character concept artist, you should ask about some races that are already in development. Also you can come up with some unique and custom ideas about everyday objects, that humanoid animal creatures would find useful. Like barrels, which are not our everyday barrels. If its not super special thats not a problem, i just would like you to start thinking and creating all the stuff that will be used to fill the world, so it doesnt feel empty and artifical.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM

got some jpg's up.

http://www.baggedcat.talktalk.net/

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM
Darress wrote:

I would like to draw the runes! ;) I have some reasons for it. I will have to implement a motion recognition system, that can recognize the runes, so I have to make the runes scripts easy recognizable.

Have you played Start the Party? There's a game on it that has the players colour in shapes transparently stenciled on the screen and judging how well they do by how much of the shape is coloured when the time runs out. If we use a similar system for drawing runes you wont need to code any complex recognition systems and the rune design would not be limited (except by what's practical for the player to draw).

e.g. if you take a rune character, overlay it on screen with some opacity, the player then has a guide to trace under a certain time limit, if the player traces over the stencil within degree of proximity, the rune fills in accurately (not the possibly wonky player drawn line). Compare to if you colour washed white wax on white paper, the player only needs some degree of accuracy but the rune will appear accurate. This keeps the rune looking cool and not like a DIY hand drawn mess. As the rune is painted over it can fill in with a cool effect like when a trail of gunpowder burns.

Developer
Dec 6, 2011 at 7:46 AM
BaggedCat wrote:

got some jpg's up.

http://www.baggedcat.talktalk.net/

Sweet <3

I'd prefer gesture based as well

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Edited Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Sorry, I dont want to make the melee fight system gesture based. If we use the Moves, I want to exploit it's possibilities.

The movement wont be controlled with buttons, but rather with motion. If you tilt the controller forward, the player goes forward, if you rotate the controller, the player truns. I think it's much intuitiver.

And the runes, if I understood you well, should be first choosen, and then drawn? I want the player choose the runes by its script! There will be no menu for runes, if you can draw it, you can use it.

Sorry, I should have written these ideas to the wiki earlier. With other, older motion controllers were everything gesture based. But the Move is accurate!!! And I want to create something new. Gesture based games we have enough.

Your ideas for magic gestures are great! :) 

Developer
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

by the usage of both gestured (runes) and 1to1 interpretation(melee) of motions you might offer a clear separation between caster- and fighteraffinities among players 

the player will need a collection of runescripts (something like a spellbook) he already discovered, though.

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Yep, they will have a spellbook.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:46 PM
Darress wrote:

Sorry, I dont want to make the melee fight system gesture based. If we use the Moves, I want to exploit it's possibilities.

The movement wont be controlled with buttons, but rather with motion. If you tilt the controller forward, the player goes forward, if you rotate the controller, the player truns. I think it's much intuitiver.

And the runes, if I understood you well, should be first choosen, and then drawn? I want the player choose the runes by its script! There will be no menu for runes, if you can draw it, you can use it.

Sorry, I should have written these ideas to the wiki earlier. With other, older motion controllers were everything gesture based. But the Move is accurate!!! And I want to create something new. Gesture based games we have enough.

Your ideas for magic gestures are great! :)

Runes

The idea was choosing it would be like equipping it and drawing it would be like using it. e.g. like enchanting a weapon in dark souls/skyrym. once enchanted onto your weapon or fist you can use it with the trigger until you swap it out again.

Drawing the rune to choose is nice, but he runes must be super simple then, otherwise players will just be flicking back and forth from the spell book, trying to remember it then drawing it. If they do this every time they want to use a rune, you might as well show them the rune to draw. (some people forget actions of buttons on a controller or which keyboard key to press to do something, let alone a new 'foreign text' that must be drawn). Also having something to trace gives good feedback to the player of how well/bad they are drawing the rune rather than simply nothing happening if you get it wrong.

Melee

1 to 1 is cool. So like combat in Sports Champions/Deadmunds Quest.

I suggested gestures as cooler actions could be performed that the player couldn't do, but still be representative of the players actions. e.g. for horizontal attacks it could still pick up a high/mid/low, left or right swipes but the animation would be canned so they would look good and flow well. It would look like animations from any proper combat rather than an avatar standing there with only their arm waving around. You can also design game mechanics around gestures like stamina bar that wont break immersion e.g. low stamina = gesture doesn't produce attack, or enemy blocks and the sword rebounds and the player will readily accept this. Where as 1 to 1 there will always be a time where the tracking is not 1 to 1 (by games mechanics, not by Move's tracking performance) that will break the immersion. e.g. player swipes down vertically, enemy blocks, immersion breaks as sword is momentarily not 1 to 1 and then pings back to where the Move controller is. else the swore passes through everything staying true 1 to 1.

Motion

Yes Move is accurate, but using it for movement is fiddly. You need a dead zone which introduces the feeling of lag. The player will also have to change the position of the Move to a vertical position (like a joystick, so you can tilt forwards to go forward?) when ever they move. This detracts from the immersion that the left controller is their left hand (rather than just moving your thumbs). Also with this system you cannot move and use your left hand at the same time.

I guess i was designing a game that uses Move, rather than a Move game. I think this is where something like Deadmunds Quest goes wrong.

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Please use the Control forum thread for this topic. I answered there for BaggedCat's response.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM

The first idea was Let's creat a hack'n'slash game. Whit PS move and add some "magic" in.
Quest and other stuff not so important because hard to implement. Now we want some kind of Portal and Halflife 2 logic game.
I'm not aganst it but I think we miss the game main idea.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Runes:

Rune of focus
    Don't use it as a rune imo. Why would I use a rune(consume rune power) for charge the rune(gain rune power). I simply creat a skill Focus, and movment motion for it, like both trigger pulled and both hand starts form high and end low, like in dragonball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvMNwNXJCs (1:37-1:41) ,of course any damage will iterupt the effect.

"Rune of physical shield
    This rune slows down every fast movements around you. If you drop, you wont be hurt so badly."
    hmm maybe Rune of Timewarp but hardly physical shield.
    for Rune of physical shield: you should gain effect like enemy sword hits less damage on you.

Poison rune
    Usage 2: Drawn on food/drink will cause damage if drunk/eaten and if the rune is activated.-Good idea but I played several games whit this feature...never used.

Motive rune and Air rune Should be one
    The air can be controlled with this rune giving you the power to blow away your enemies, or move your other rune spells in air.
    You can move items or rune effects with this rune.

Blood rune
    Usage 1: You can gain runemight from your life power. If you convert too much life power, you die.- I hope there will be a limiter...

"Rune of light
    Usage 2: You can create solid items from light. For example you can shoot light arrows, or create a bridge from light."
    O.O a bride?? How hard that can be implement in the game....the correct connetions of the ground and the bride, the bridge lenght, and
    I've never seen a good bridge creation in game. Well maybe at once in Singularity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dMCsw1FTa8 -but it was scripted.

Because we lack in runes that can be used to deal some damage here some:

Rune of Lightening - like the dark side in Starwars
    Rune of Life leach - minor healing on yourself, deamage deling on enemy
    Rune of Ice - Slowing effect and minor damage delaing
    Rune of Swords - your strikes deal more damage
    Rune of Berserk - your strikes deal a huge ammunt of damage (burst your rune power fast to 0)

Skills, XP:

And because we have xp so there should be some skilltree imo.
    Even if the skills on it just like: +5hp, +5rune power, -damage taken(physical), -damage taken(magical) + damge dealt etc.
    It would be almost the same like: "The skills will level up by use.
                                                       If you use primarily your physical power, you'll be better at it, if you cast a specific spell often,
                                                       it will be faster and/or stronger."
    Even Battlefield 3 has skills to....and that a combat simulation. Its called specialization http://www.ign.com/wikis/battlefield-3/Specializations
    Bony and me can come up whit one or two which shouldn't be hard to implement.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for your ideas. The runes listed on the wiki are just an early concept. They can be changed a lot.

Developer
Dec 8, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM

1) why not?

the point is to recharge a runemightpool by the other one. giving the player more flexibility on wich runes he inscripts to wich sword.

2,3,5) agree

4) why would you limit that? if you overcast the BLOOD-rune you die. gives a dangerous feeling to it. there are actually enough games out there that hinder you in tactics' flexibility.

6) i'd add a lack of defense here instead of rapid consumption (wich i would turn into continuous consumption) because if runemight runs out, players will still be able to fight on physically. as this rune will primarily be used by close combators, the lack of defense is a stronger downside to the player

7) i thought the "skilltree-discussion" is already done leading to the point that there won't be any?

and those skills are planned, as upgrade-activationrunes (which i'd prefer to call powerrunes^^). 

8) a bit off topic here, but battlefield is no combat sim, it's a tactic shooter. 

Editor
Dec 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Rune idea: A rune that marks a spot, or object and then trace it. and after some seconds. A object of considerable mass will come from above, smashing a pretty large mess in the selected area like a meteor or something, this would draw a ton of runemight and take a while to perform, on top of that the aim will be slow on moving targets, so they have a chance to evade it.

This can be similar to the orbital strike from Halo Reach, although not as effective.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM

"1) why not?

the point is to recharge a runemightpool by the other one. giving the player more flexibility on wich runes he inscripts to wich sword."

We will have a rune bar, if am i right, and when the rune bar is zero, how am I supose to recharge my runepower? From zero rune you gain zero rune, and I don't want to wait for the regen. I don't think the game will has 2 rune bars for each sword to transter some power to the other one. So I still prefer Focus as a skill, because at this point the rune of focus sounds for me like the magic of mana - if you use this magic you gain mana (instead of if I use magic I lose mana).

"4) why would you limit that? if you overcast the BLOOD-rune you die. gives a dangerous feeling to it. there are actually enough games out there that hinder you in tactics' flexibility."

In Lineage 2 it was called Body to mind and it had a limiter. You couldn't killed yourself but could died easily coz the lack of hp. Oh and when you had low hp you gained more powefull magic....I mean really powerfull almost instant kills.

"7) i thought the "skilltree-discussion" is already done leading to the point that there won't be any?

and those skills are planned, as upgrade-activationrunes (which i'd prefer to call powerrunes^^)."

Skilltree or upgrade-acivationrunes, for me it's all the same, but one of them is essential, because the game will be more addictive.

"8) a bit off topic here, but battlefield is no combat sim, it's a tactic shooter."

much of a muchness ....still fun to play...has specialization and rich awarding system, lots of unlocks...I luv it.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 5:14 AM

1) The focus rune wont consume any runemight if used for recharging it.

2) The shield would be like in the books Dune. It is just more logical. How would you explain the same impulse with less damage?

?) Rune of light: Yes, bridge is pretty hard to realize, should skip it.

4) The blood rune is for healing. If you do the reverse it can be dangerous. I think this can be tactical and interesting.

7) There will be some kind of development that can be described with numbers. You can call that what you want. ;)

F4celess: How would you explain this? In Halo it's coming from a spaceship. Just keep in thought all runes came from the dragons!

Developer
Dec 9, 2011 at 5:42 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2011 at 5:45 AM

1) yea 2 runemightpools are planned

8) but players do not have to master anything in bf3 to achieve those specialisations. they just get them free to keep them having fun.

i think there are more ways of being rewarded than by getting the any-upgrade, if you are having a use for it or not.

Editor
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2011 at 6:48 AM
Darress wrote:

F4celess: How would you explain this? In Halo it's coming from a spaceship. Just keep in thought all runes came from the dragons!

1. How do you explain dragons, runes that give various other effects and whatnot. magic shouldnt be explainable, that's why it's called magic, not science.

As for a source of the "meteor" part. it could be a chunk of a hill, it could be a actual meteor that is guided to the target, tons of rock hits hearth every day.

2. the light bridge stuff. I dont think you need to make it calculate sizes and positions, more like we implement preset locations where a bridge would do. and if the player approach those locations  a indicator flashes and the bridge would be created in the preset location by doing the gesture to use the rune.

Idea programming it,, maybe program a easily adjustable standard bridge, and have the preset location contain information like position, length and width. I'll look into doing a concept on it this weekend.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM
F4celess wrote:2. the light bridge stuff. I dont think you need to make it calculate sizes and positions, more like we implement preset locations where a bridge would do. and if the player approach those locations  a indicator flashes and the bridge would be created in the preset location by doing the gesture to use the rune.

also doesn't have to be a anything fancier than a long flat rectangle of light. in which case is just calculating a vector from the players feet towards where ever they're facing until it hits another physical object.

i don't recommend allowing the player to make bridges wherever they want though for reasons other than implementing the bridge.

allows player to potentially go where you don't want them to and get stuck/fall off map/see behind unmodelled reverse sides

i agree with F4celess that they should be in preset usable locations. they you can model any fancy bridge you want. the bigger the bridge, the more levelled up your light rune must be (or whatever mechanic we're using). this can act as a progression blocker to certain areas until you have enough rune might/level/upgrade/etc. if you try to use it without enough rune might e.g. 100 metre light bridge and you only have 50 rune might max you'd only generate half the bridge

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM

"1) The focus rune wont consume any runemight if used for recharging it."

For me still sound a bit wrong a rune which recharge your runepower, and it's not a coincidence in other games/worlds where you have mana the recharge is going from manna potion or skill but not a magic for recharge your mana. If there is a rune that gives you power, than the others shouldn't consum it...because it gives not consumes power and for this template if there are runes that consumes your rune power than the other one shouldn't recharge it...simple logic.

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

You are right. We can call it a skill or state, and the rune makes you go into that state, and not the rune recharges the runemight, but yourself with your focus.

Is it ok so?

Please answer not here but in the runes topic.