The future of this game

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I think we may not have the resources to make a game like the one in our plans. I think we must make changes in order to succeed. As we can clearly see, there is no progress in the races, only a little progress in the environment, but a great progress in the story, some in the control...

So I think we have to work with what we have. We have a good story! And we can use the CE default asset, except the characters. (I don't like the default ones.)

I propose to work with only 2 races, humans and dragons (and in the beginning of the game: only humans). The environment should be normal human environment in order to be able to use the CE default assets. It's a very nice one and we can use other assets made by the community. We only have to model some humans (or just download a good free model and change it to our needs), and we are ready to test the story what is our strength.

I also thought about the swords and maybe it would be better if the runes would be independent of the swords. What is your opinion? And I though as well about the melee fight system. It would be better if we would have more weapons (swords, axes, polearms, etc) and we could enchant them with runes. (So melee fighters have to work with runes too.) And drawing runes would happen with the right hand (the character will grab the weapon with the left one).

In this case, we could work without further waiting for models or characters. And the game will be fully compatible with keyboard and mouse, so everyone can play with it. ;)

Please write down all your ideas, we have to make changes if we want to see our game done.

We also have decide about the melee fight system.

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Okay, i think these are good ideas. Will make the whole process easier. And the built in stuff will help out a lot, we only have to create the models that are not included. But then our game will lokk a lot like other cryengine games. At least we can put a new model into a place of another model anytime, so later on we can change stuff out.

Editor
Mar 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Hey all,

Sorry for the disappearance but I had no computer at all for some cases. I have 3D scetches of forest wolves. I'll upload those today after work ( about 18:00) so may be u can work with them. I started another deer like race called "Heroes of the North". The male model for 3D modelling already done so if u think it will work I can upload it too.

Darres, what I would like to ask u are deadlines. I know that I late with many drawings and beside the everyday-problems I will always be in late. So please be straight with me. U know me very well. :)

I am reallí sorry for the laziness and I Will upload what I already have.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I wont define any deadlines for you. :) It's just a favour, no duty. (By the way you can learn more by overcoming your laziness. ;))

If you upload those scetches we could work with them, it would be nice. But don't worry if you can't, we can go the other way.

Have a nice day. ;)

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Using predefined arcdhitecture and vegetation seems like a good idea to reduce the work for both conc ept artist and modellers. But if we completely stick too templates, not only will there be just humans (I actually liked the no humans idea) but we would also have to cut back on any monsters not included in CE (I actually have no idea about what CE contains, so that might not be that much of a problem). The question is: If we use templates for almost anything, what do we create ourselves?

About the humans: I think we could use human templates as placeholders for actual beast races. But maybe cut back on the amount of different races. I already told Darress about this idea: we only have 2 beast races, but more races all over the world which the player will just never see. So the game takes place where only those 2 races exist. It would reduce the work, while still letting us keep the no human idea. Also, we already have a humanoid wolf model made by bonyg. So we at least have something.

I think  a world without generic humans is an interesting concept and with the runes causing mutation to the flora and fauna I already had an explanation, why there are animals and humanoid/animal hybrids. And as you might have recongnized already, I'm "a little" protective when it comes to the story I write. Since I have started it out of small parts (the basic guidelines that came from Darress), I've seen it grow and develop. It's kinda like a child too me, so don't take what I say personally, it's just my (strange) nature. ^^

EDIT:

I also intend to publish the Backstory on my deviantArt account. Maybe we can get some attention that way.

Only the backstory though, the Plot will stay here.

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

There are no monster assets in CE. Only a single human and much vegetation.

What do we create ourselves? Haha, what we have resource to.

I recently got some drawings from Rain, Bony can model tham, if he wants to.

Editor
Apr 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hey, just wanted to say that I'm off the project. Not only because I'm in no way able to dedicate enough time for my part of the job. But also because I've seen what a thight, local group can do in a year, which isn't all that much.(they where using Unreal SDK 3)

Sorry to announce it this way but there isn't much to do about it. Got a serious hit in the face when I did horrible with my best efforts in a The Gathering compo. and other stuff taking my time.

Bye, It was a good idea. Just a bit too ambitous for the dev team IMO.

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Thank you for helping us and good luck with your other stuffs! ;)